If you’re starting or expanding a company that requires the development of new programmes, you’ll need to start looking for developers. But what is the best way to recruit software engineers, programmers, coders or designers?
The term “software engineer” is a title that covers a range of practises, from the designing of computer programmes to their coding, development and maintenance.
In this article, the team at Propel looks into the best way to find developers and other software experts that will help your business stand head and shoulders above the rest.
How to Recruit a Software Engineer?
If your business relies on its own unique programmes and systems in order to operate, you may ask yourself “how do I hire a developer that is a great fit for my team?”.
When looking for developers, your top candidates are likely to be individuals who have:
- Graduated with a university degree or college qualification in a technology or computing field.
- Gained extensive work experience with relevant organisations.
- Demonstrated skills that are applicable to your company’s particular field.
The Challenges of Hiring Software Developers
When it comes to developers, finding the right candidate for your business isn’t always as easy as putting out a simple job advert. You are likely to come across a number of obstacles in your search. Here are some of the main issues you could encounter.
Limited candidates with the right certifications
Because software development is such a specialist discipline, and due to there being so many individual programming languages in circulation, it can be a struggle to find a good number of candidates that match your requirements.
As a result of the limitations of the talent pool, it’s likely that you will always be competing with other organisations for the same developers and engineers.
Even the simplest of recruitment drives can get expensive - but highly specialised talent searches often require even more investment.
What’s more, the right candidate may require extensive training to ensure that they are the perfect fit for your organisation.
Finally, due to the level of talent and the specialist skills required to become a high level software engineer, employees of this kind tend to command a high salary.
Candidate selection challenges
Often, a software developer’s disciplines are exceptionally “niche”. Thi means that their skill level and suitability for a role can be tough for an employer to judge if they do not have the same level of technological understanding.
The Five Best Ways to Find Developers
There are a number of ways to find the right junior, middleweight or senior software engineer for your organisation. These include:
- Hiring a headhunter. These recruitment specialists will use tried and tested methods to select individuals with the right specialisms for you to consider for your next hire.
- Utilising a carefully chosen tech-specific talent pool, such as a software development recruitment agency.
- Networking at the right events. Research the best software engineer conferences and industry events and get talking to as many people as you can. Collect business cards there and use these as a basis for a more extensive online investigation into each person’s skills and experience.
- Checking out freelancer portals. There are a range of online platforms designed to help professionals in certain fields to showcase their skills and employability. Many are extremely niche - particularly in the tech field - so you can specify as much as you want.
- Training up an entry level candidate, such as a graduate. By recruiting individuals based on their raw talent and outlook, you’ll be able to develop them according to your business’s specialist requirements, avoiding “bad habits” and instilling a stronger sense of loyalty.
While finding the right software engineer can feel like a long and intense process, it is always worth putting in the effort.
The more detailed your search, the more likely you are to find the perfect candidate whose skills, experience and attitude fit in perfectly with the role’ requirements and the wider outlook of your business.
Propel can help you with specialist recruitment activities of this kind. To learn more about how we can support your talent search, feel free to contact us today.
We will be more than happy to provide expert advice and guidance tailored to your business and its requirements.